Friday, November 7, 2008

Banana Bread

The kids used to love banana's, so much that I could barely keep them in stock. Then one day, they just lost interest. I don't know what happened. How does one fall out of love with bananas? They're so good for you, and loaded with potassium so they help with those pesky growing pains. You can even coat them in chocolate and freeze them. Now, I can't even pay Austin $1 to take a bite of one! Then again, he won't eat cheese or peanut butter either. Normal he is not.

Fortunately, Chris and I love banana bread so those neglected, over-ripe bananas will continue to have a place in our home! I found a basic bread recipe online, and adapted it to make it my own. Chris prefers his without nuts, and warmed with a little butter. I prefer it just like it is! Be sure to use over-ripened bananas - you get a better flavor! You can also substitute allspice in place of the nutmeg and cinnamon.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 lb (cubed) butter
1 tsp. salt
1 ts. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3-5 ripened bananas, mashed

NOTE: If you use 5 bananas, you should have enough to make 24 muffins. The less bananas used, the more "cake-like" it will be.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9 pan (or 2 loaf pans) with butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar in pan. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter, add eggs one at a time. Add bananas, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour batter in pan(s), and sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh I can't tell you how much I love banana bread, I am going to have to try your recipe. I always have one banana left that no one eats so instead of throwing it away, I mash it up, put it in a ziploc and put it in the freezer. When I feel the urge to bake, I just pull out however many I need!